Saturday, July 30, 2016

Summer Style Note - Beach Cover-Ups

Living in a coastal town that becomes resort-like each summer, means that the beach cover-up is a standard wardrobe staple.  There are shops that carry nothing but clothing to wear over a swim suit and the local TJ Maxx dedicates prime retail real estate to such "toppers" from April to August.

My dream cover-up was at Nordstrom last year for only $189.  It was merely an inverted table cloth with a hole at the top for one's head.  I loved the feminine scrolled lace that connected to create the arms and the crisp batiste cotton.  But in the end, not only would I not spend my hard-earned retirement money on a scrap of material, I couldn't stop thinking about my grandmother's lace tablecloth whenever I looked at it on my online wishlist.

Instead, I found a very nice light-weight and simple white tunic that doesn't require ironing (who irons beach cover-ups?).  But if you want to find something really pretty and girly, there are plenty of cover-ups to choose from.  Seen this season:

Drop-dead black lace sheath with bell sleeves

Mini-dress in watery turquoise print

White tunic with embroidered gold medallions

Maxi-dress in gyrating red stripes

~

When I was a teenager on Cape Cod, we simply pulled our brothers' football shirts over our swim suits. Cover-ups today are a whole new food group.



9 comments:

  1. Two years ago I borrowed a friend's dotted Swiss shirt - lovely and long and a bit floppy and very chic as a cover up. I have spent the time since searching for just that shirt. Of course this has been an exercise in futility. Last month I found a lovely thin cotton, flocked shirt with a very nice collar and it will be my cover up for a November trip to NZ. I am past the age where a cover up can be less than a real Cover-up! I like something that can go on like a shirt because the act of pulling something over my head in public is really not very attractive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the pulling over the head Pondside! There's always the dreaded fear of a little tummy showing. The dotted Swiss sounds perfect...and yes, I remember the rubbery floral bathing caps. They hurt going on! But everyone wore them. Best wishes for a wonderful NZ trip. Do you knit? Heard the yarn from there is gorgeous. Thank you for your comments - so appreciated.

      Delete
  2. .......meant to ask - do you remember those flowery bathing caps that everyone had?

    ReplyDelete
  3. THAT cost WAY more then the suit it's SELF.I say find another tablecloth at a vintage shop or on line and cut it UP!!!XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome dress for summer style. I really like this kind of stuff while on beach under sun. white is my favorite.Check womens beach wear collection. You would like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks to share nice post... i read your blog its really interesting.!! cheap tankini

    ReplyDelete
  6. I may need to offer a tremendous continue for the broad information you have here on this post about bikini cover up , Thank you for sharing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, this weekend is good for me, since this time i am reading this enormous informative article here at my home. cheap beach cover ups

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE LOVE LOVE this beach cover ups – so energetic! I wish I had some worthwhile time to go on so I could wear something like this!

    ReplyDelete